vrijdag 18 juli 2014

Italian Food Forever » Three Tomato Farrotto With Basil Pesto

See on Scoop.it - La Cucina Italiana - De Italiaanse Keuken - The Italian Kitchen



A risotto like dish made with healthy farro instead of rice that is flavored with three different tomato products.Our garden is flourishing this year and the tomatoes in particular are doing really well. I have been picking fresh, ripe tomatoes for a couple of weeks already and I really do love the flavor of fresh picked tomatoes still warm from the garden. We are eating the tomatoes as quickly as we can although I am now beginning to even freeze some as they are ripening too quickly for me to use them up. This recipe was born out of my need to use up some of our tomato bounty, and the pairing of the slowly cooked farro in tomatoes with some freshly made basil pesto was a match made in heaven. I decided to use farro instead of rice to make this “risotto” dish as I love the texture and nutty flavor of farro and it is much healthier for you than basic rice. To make this dish, you simply cook the farro just as you would a basic risotto dish if you were using rice. The final farrotto dish should be creamy like risotto, but the farro should still have a little firmness to the bite.

See on italianfoodforever.com




via Tumblr http://bit.ly/1yCiJ57